Remate Express

remate express
remate express


8,000 Benguet beneficiaries get rice, cash, livelihood aid

By: Catherine Cueto

© Image Copyrights Title

A total of 8,000 beneficiaries in Benguet have received a total of P25 million in cash and rice aid representing educational and livelihood assistance under three revolutionary initiatives of Speaker Ferdinand Martin G. Romualdez.

Coinciding with the Bagong Pilipinas Serbisyo Fair (BPSF) in Benguet from April 21 to 22, Romualdez led the distribution of rice and financial assistance under the Cash and Rice Distribution (CARD) Program, the Integrated Scholarships and Incentives Program (ISIP) for the Youth, and the Start-up, Investment, Business Opportunity and Livelihood (SIBOL).

“Simula po noong sinimulan natin ang mga inisyatibang ito sa tulong ng mga ahensya ng pamahalaan, madami na tayong natulungan sa hanay ng mga vulnerable sectors, sa ating mga estudyanteng nangangailangan at sa ating mga maliliit na negosyante,” Romualdez, the leader of the 300-plus-member House of Representatives, said.

“Nais natin itong ipagpatuloy, kasabay ng ating BPSF sa mga lalawigan, para mas madami tayong maabot na mamamayang nangangailangan ng tulong para sa pang-araw-araw na pangangailangan, sa kanilang pag-aaral at sa kanilang pamumuhunan,” he added.

For the CARD Program, a total of 75,000 kilograms of rice was distributed to 3,000 beneficiaries in Benguet belonging to the most vulnerable sectors including the poor, senior citizens, PWDs, single parents, and family breadwinners, among others.

During the opening ceremony for the CARD, Romualdez noted the contributions of Benguet to the which produced 88% of the Cordillera Administrative Region’s vegetables and 59% of the overall rice yield of the region last year.

“Kaya nga po karangalan namin na masuklian ang kasipagan ng kababayan nating mga taga-Benguet, sa pamamagitan ng iba’t ibang programa ng pamahalaan, kabilang dito ang Cash Assistance and Rice Distribution o CARD,” the Speaker said.

“Ang CARD program po ay binuo ng tanggapan ng inyong lingkod, kasama ng DSWD  (Department of Social Welfare and Development) at ng NFA (National Food Authority) at naglalayong tugunan ang pagtaas ng presyo ng bigas at iba pang mga pangunahing bilihin. Beneficiaries of this program do not only receive rice but also financial assistance that may be used to start new livelihood activities or boost existing ones,” he further explained.

For the CARD Program in Benguet, a cash assistance of  P2,000 was granted to each of the 3,000 beneficiaries through the DSWD’s Assistance to Individuals In Crisis (AICS) program and 25 kilograms of premium rice. 

“Sa programang ito, at iba pang programang ipinatutupad ng mahal na Pangulong Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos Jr., nakikita po natin ang potensyal ng pagkakaisa – mga sangay ng pamahalaan, nagsasama-sama ng puwersa upang mas maging epektibo at mas marami pa ang maabot ng kanilang mga serbisyo,” Romualdez declared.

“Kaya nga po magkaisa tayo, tungo sa sama-sama at mas mabilis nating pag-unlad.”

Financial assistance for the ISIP for the Youth, meanwhile, targets struggling tertiary and vocational students in Benguet, where each of the 2,000 beneficiaries will receive P2,000 in financial aid every six months through the DSWD AICS program to cover tuition and other expenses. 

During the program’s opening, Romualdez expressed confidence that the student-beneficiaries represent the country’s bright future as they have shown perseverance and resilience to study despite facing the challenges of poverty.

“Bawat isa po sa inyo ngayon ay nagbibigay pag-asa sa amin dahil mayroon pa ring mga kabataan na hindi nagpapatalo sa kahirapan, bagkus ay nagpupursigi pa rin para maabot ang pangarap na magandang edukasyon na siyang susi ng mas magandang buhay,” Romualdez said. 

“Ang programang inilulunsad natin ngayong araw at isang matibay na patunay na ang pamahalaan ay handang tulungan ang lahat na nagnanais na mapabuti ang kanilang kalagayan sa buhay – dahil alam natin na ang tagumpay ng isa ay tagumpay ng bayan,” he added.

Under the program, identified student beneficiaries will be enrolled under CHED’s Tulong Dunong Program (TDP) where they can get scholarship assistance per semester amounting to a total of P15,000. They are also assured slots under the Government Internship Program (GIP) after graduation. 

Unemployed parents or guardians may also be enrolled in the DOLE-TUPAD Program.

“Sa ating pagsasama-sama, mas madali nating mapagtatagumpayan ang lahat ng hamon ng panahon, at mas mabilis makamit ang masaganang kinabukasan na inaasam ng lahat.”

For the SIBOL Program, meanwhile, a total of P15 million worth of financial assistance under DSWD AICS for 3,000 beneficiaries in Benguet was undertaken in the province.

In his speech during the opening of the program, Romualdez said he believes in the Filipino’s entrepreneurial spirit and this is the reason why he is supporting this initiative.

“Binuo po natin ang SIBOL kasama ng DSWD, DTI at DOLE upang mabigyang tulong ang marami sa ating mga kababayang nagnanais mag-negosyo. Ang bawat negosyong naitatayo ay nagiging paraan upang mas marami pang mga Pilipino ay magkaroon ng trabaho,” Romualdez noted.

SIBOL is also an initiative of Speaker Romualdez, which aims to encourage start-up businesses that will serve as a dual solution for poverty alleviation and support during crises, providing individuals with sustainable opportunities that contribute to economic empowerment and resilience in challenging times. 

Beneficiaries are micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) business owners each of whom received P5,000 in cash aid through the AICS program, along with 5 kilograms of rice. 

“Ito po ang dahilan kung bakit inilulunsad natin ngayon ang programang SIBOL dito sa lalawigan ng Benguet. Nais po natin mas lalong mapabilis ang pag-unlad ng mga kababayan. Naniniwala po kami sa bawat isang taga-Benguet na naririto sa inyong angking kakayahan na magnegosyo at matulungan ang iba pa nating mga kababayan,” Romualdez said.